Another awesome album from The Hold Steady.
When Pitchfork finally received a full-art copy of Boys and Girls in America, it came with a Hold Steady coaster, a wink at the received logic that Craig Finn and his cohorts are members of "America's bar band. That's an ill-fitting tag for a couple of reasons; first, because the vast majority of the bars in the . feature DJs and jukeboxes not bands- let alone ones as unique and powerful as the Hold Steady
Boys And Girls In America (LP, Album). Vagrant Records, Full Time Hobby. referencing Boys And Girls In America, LP, Album, RP, Act019. Does anyone know if there was a release of this without the comic book? Mine doesn't have one, but it is black vinyl from Sabot, so i don't see what other version it could be.
Those looking for Separation Sunday "part two" may be disappointed by the huge sound Boys and Girls in America has (the band's moved to Vagrant); it's not much of a concept record, and it's not as Catholic, but all those struggles are in here just beneath the surface (and sometimes on top of it). One of the ballads here, "First Night," begins with a piano and an acoustic guitar lilting a rather loose melody that gives Craig Finn the support he needs to get out of his pent-up, novelistic, wordsmithing mouth. It exposes in the first and third person what it means to grow up right now in the midst of suburban waste. It's angsty, but Finn's got a sense of humor, and the band can play their asses off.
After checking out "Boys and Girls," I'm looking forward to exploring other Hold Steady efforts, and I'm even more excited for the chance to see them in person. 2 people found this helpful. another solid album by the hold steady. really good music from the first song right on through the end of "southtown girls". Published on January 10, 2013. That song was pretty much the anthem of my middle college years.
Almost Killed Me is the debut studio album by Brooklyn-based rock band the Hold Steady, released on March 16, 2004 on Frenchkiss Records. It is considered by many to be a concept album, with several recurring themes such as near-death experiences, parties and the fictional character Charlemagne
Limited to 3000 copies. Disc 1 Stuck Between Stations Chips Ahoy Hot Soft Light Same Kooks First Night Party Pit You Can Make Him Like You Massive Nights Citrus Chill out Tent Southtown Girls
The Hold Steady, from Brooklyn, make their intentions clear from the opening line of their third album: "There are nights when I think Sal Paradise was right," slurs Craig Finn. Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together. Over the course of 11 songs, Finn details those sad times, caused by too many drugs ("It started recreational, it ended kinda medical"), too much alcohol, or usually both: these are hangover songs, rather than party songs
The Hold Steady will always have their detractors; I understand that. Some people love testosterone-fueled bar-band ballads, and others can't get over the fact that lead singer Craig Finn doesn't actually, you know, sing. To each his own, right? Wrong. From start to finish, the album is filled with monster melodies in the form of dramatic monologues and screeching instrumentals. Don't believe me? Try opener "Stuck Between Stations," which pauses two-thirds of the way through for some Ben Folds-esque piano tomfoolery before launching into some of the most searing lead-guitar licks pretty much ever
Boys And Girls In America.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||Stuck Between Stations||4:10|
|3||Hot Soft Light||3:53|
|7||You Can Make Him Like You||2:48|
Vocals – Dave Pirner*, Elizabeth Elmore
|13||Girls Like Status|
|14||Arms & Hearts|
Written-By – Gordon Gano
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Hold Steady Industries LLC
- Copyright (c) – Longtime Listener
- Licensed From – Hold Steady Industries LLC
- Manufactured By – Inertia Distribution Pty. Ltd.
- Distributed By – Inertia Distribution Pty. Ltd.
- Distributed By – Rhythmethod
- Recorded At – Water Music Recorders
- Overdubbed At – Water Music Recorders
- Overdubbed At – Atomic Recording Co.
- Mixed At – The Magic Shop
- Mastered At – Sterling Sound
- Published By – Muy Interesante Music
- Published By – Key Hits
- Published By – Eggshell Armor
- Published By – Dimensional Music Of 1091
- Pressed By – Technicolor, Australia
- Arranged By [Horns], Tenor Saxophone – Peter Hess
- Band, Performer – Bobby Drake, Craig Finn, Franz Nicolay, Galen Polivka, Tad Kubler
- Booking – Inland Empire Touring
- Engineer [Basic Tracks & Overdubs Assistant] – Chris DeCocco
- Lap Steel Guitar – Drew Glackin
- Layout, Design – Ben Goetting
- Legal – George Regis, Esq.*
- Mastered By – Greg Calbi
- Mastered By [Assistant] – Steve Fallone
- Mixed By [Assistant] – Ted Young
- Mixed By, Producer, Recorded By – John Agnello
- Photography By – Marina Chavez
- Public Relations [Publicity] – Debby Hambrick
- Recorded By [Assistant] – TJ Doherty*
- Text By – Sacha Penn
- Trombone – Alan Ferber
- Trumpet – Lloyd Debonis
- Viola – Caleb Burhans
- Violin – Jean Cook
- Vocals [Additional] – Dana Kletter
Notes℗ 2006 Hold Steady Industries, LLC. © 2007 Longtime Listener under exclusive license from Hold Steady Industries, LLC.
Manufactured and distributed in Australia by Inertia Distribution Pty Ltd. Distributed in New Zealand by Rhythmethod.
Made in Australia.
AUS/NZ edition features 4 bonus tracks.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 9332727008658
- Rights Society: ASCAP
- Matrix / Runout: LISN82001 01 BOYS & GIRLS TECHNICOLOR
- Mastering SID Code: ifpi L283
- Mould SID Code: IFPI 4605
|VRUK042CD||The Hold Steady||Boys And Girls In America (CD, Album)||Vagrant Records||VRUK042CD||UK||2006|
|538247700||The Hold Steady||Boys and Girls in America (2xLP, Dlx, Gat)||Vagrant Records||538247700||UK, Europe & US||2016|
|Act019||The Hold Steady||Boys And Girls In America (LP, Album, Blu)||Sabot Productions||Act019||US||2007|
|Act019||The Hold Steady||Boys And Girls In America (LP, Album, RP, Cle)||Sabot Productions||Act019||US||2007|
|VRUK42, 449.3058.020||The Hold Steady||Boys And Girls In America (CD, Album)||Vagrant Records, Play It Again Sam [PIAS], Full Time Hobby||VRUK42, 449.3058.020||Belgium||2006|
Performer: The Hold Steady
Title: Boys And Girls In America
Date of release: 2006
Style: Garage Rock, Alternative Rock, Indie Rock
Size MP3: 1512 mb
Size FLAC: 1738 mb
Rating: 4.2 / 5
Other Formats: TTA AIFF ADX MMF DTS WAV VQF