This one is pretty far out. Playing an obscure electronic harpsichord called the Rocksichord along with a Moog synth, this album makes Sun Ra’s claim that he was born on. .Half goofy, half grotesque, and half funky The Night of The Purple Moon is an album that expands the minds of those who listen closely.
Discover more music, concerts, videos, and pictures with the largest catalogue online at Last. Overview (current section).
The Sun Ra discography is one of the largest discographies in music history. Jazz keyboardist, bandleader and composer Sun Ra recorded dozens of singles and over one hundred full-length albums, comprising well over 1000 songs, and making him one of the most prolific recording artists of the 20th century.
This one is quirky, even in the Sun Ra catalog. Ra fronts a quartet playing nothing but miniMoog and Rocksichord, along with Stafford James on electric bass, Danny Davis on alto, clarinet, flute, and bongos, and John Gilmore on drums! Gilmore has a skittering approach to the drums, which are curiously mic'ed with the hi-hat being especially prominent. Lots of fun and slightly goofy, Night of the Purple Moon is an entertaining curiosity within a singularly unique discography.
The Night of the Purple Moon by Sun Ra & His Intergalactic Infinity Arkestra, released 13 November 2014 1. Sun-Earth Rock 2. The All of Everything 3. Impromptu Festival 4. Blue Soul 5. Narrative 6. Outside the Time Zone 7. The Night of the Purple Moon 8. A Bird's Eye View of Man's World 9. 21st Century Romance 10. Dance of the Living Image 11. Love in Outer Space (Instrumental) 12. Love in Outer Space (Vocal) 13. The Night of the Purple Moon (Alternate Take) 14. Love in Outer Space (Alternate Take) The Night of the Purple Moon, recorded and released in 1970, has a vague flavor o.
Sun Ra – Purple Night. Label: A&M Records – 395 324-2. Series: A&M Modern Masters Jazz Series –. Format: CD, Album. Repinique, Percussion – Jorge Silva. Surdo, Percussion – Elson Nascimento. Tenor Saxophone, Percussion, Vocals – John Gilmore. Trombone – Julian Priester, Tyrone Hill. Trumpet – Ahmed Abdullah, Fred Adams, Jothan Collins.
SUN RA - Purple Night. I was always interested to listen one of Sun Ra releases on major label, there are a very few of such recorded at all (as much as I remember, "Purple Night" and previous album "Blue Delight" were recorded for A&M both,nothing else comes to mind). So - here it is,the collection of hard-bop standards and quite relaxed originals. Differently from many of Ra home-made releases sound quality and mix are really good both, and it's a serious plus of this album.
Purple Night Blues" – 4:02. All arrangements by Sun Ra. Musicians. Sun Ra - piano, synthesiser, vocal. Don Cherry - pocket trumpet. June Tyson - violin, voice. Fred Adams - trumpet.
Other Strange Worlds released: 2014. Art Yard in a Box released: 2012. The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra released: 2010. Live in Cleveland released: 2009. The Antique Blacks released: 2009.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||Journey Towards Stars||3:44|
|3||Love In Outer Space||7:12|
|4||Stars Fell On Alabama
Written-By – Frank Perkins, Mitchell Parish
|5||Of Invisible Them||19:08|
|7||Purple Night Blues||4:02|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – A&M Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – A&M Records, Inc.
- Made By – PDO, Germany
- Recorded At – BMG Studios, NY
- Mixed At – BMG Studios, NY
- Acoustic Bass – John Ore
- Alto Saxophone, Flute – James Spaulding
- Alto Saxophone, Flute, Percussion – Marshall Allen
- Art Direction – Chuck Beeson, Ph.D
- Baritone Saxophone, Flute – Reynold Scott
- Bassoon, Drum [African] – James Jackson*
- Design – Ph.D
- Drums – Earl C. "Buster" Smith*, Eric "Samarai" Walker*, Thomas "Bugs" Henderson
- Electric Bass – Rollo Radford
- Engineer – Jay Newland, Joe Lopes
- Executive-Producer – Steve Ralbovsky
- Photography By [Cover] – Carol Friedman
- Photography By [Session] – Teri Bloom
- Piano, Synthesizer, Vocals – Sun Ra
- Producer – John Snyder
- Repinique, Percussion – Jorge Silva
- Surdo, Percussion – Elson Nascimento
- Tenor Saxophone, Percussion, Vocals – John Gilmore
- Trombone – Julian Priester, Tyrone Hill
- Trumpet – Ahmed Abdullah, Fred Adams, Jothan Collins*
- Trumpet [Pocket] – Don Cherry
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Al Evans
- Trumpet, Vocals – Michael Ray
- Vocals, Violin – June Tyson
- Written-By – Sun Ra (tracks: 1 to 3, 5 to 7)
NotesRecorded and mixed at BMG Studios, New York City, November 1989.
Made in West Germany (inlay)
Made in W. Germany by PDO (disc)
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Printed): 0 82839 53242 6
- Barcode (Scanned): 082839532426
- Matrix / Runout: 395 324-2 01 +
- Label Code: LC 0485
- Distribution Code: POL 900
- SPARS Code: ADD
- Rights Society: BIEM STEMRA
|75021 5324 2||Sun Ra||Purple Night (CD, Album)||A&M Records||75021 5324 2||US||1990|
|75021 5324 2||Sun Ra||Purple Night (CD, Album, Promo)||A&M Records||75021 5324 2||US||1990|
|75021 5324 4||Sun Ra||Purple Night (Cass, Album)||A&M Records||75021 5324 4||US||1990|
Performer: Sun Ra
Title: Purple Night
Date of release: 1990
Style: Post Bop, Free Jazz
Size MP3: 1589 mb
Size FLAC: 1490 mb
Rating: 4.2 / 5
Other Formats: FLAC DTS MP2 AU MOD AUD TTA